Monday, August 12, 2013

Excellent Salad Variation: Citrus Basil

I just mentioned my new salad technique and a couple of the flavor combinations I've been enjoying with the chickpeas and kale, right?  Well, I just invented a new one.  We have a lot of oranges lying around (I think it takes too long to peel an orange when we have all this summer fruit), so I wanted to put them in the salad.  Here's what I came up with:

  • Chopped kale and a double-size can of chickpeas, as usual
  • Two oranges, sectioned
  • A handful of chopped fresh basil
  • A quarter of an onion, chopped
  • Crumbled feta cheese
  • Lemon juice, black pepper, and olive oil for the dressing
I imagine it would work just as well to use mint in place of the basil, and/or grapefruit in place of the oranges.  I'm packing this in lunches with plain (but not low-fat) Greek yogurt, a chunk of chocolate, and another orange (we still have too many).

1 comment: