Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Excellent Quiche

Recently I've been making a lot of variations on this crustless quiche recipe.  It's wonderfully forgiving and will take whatever orphaned vegetables I want to throw in.  We're hungry people and each quiche makes four lunch-size servings, so I usually make two or three so there will be leftovers.  I need a bigger mixing bowl.
  • 4 cups of sliced or shredded vegetables
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder (the original recipe had Bisquick instead of flour, so I put in the baking powder.  I'm not sure it makes a difference)
  • salt and pepper
  • herbs if you have them
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
Just mix everything, transfer it into a greased pie pan, and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. I've made 50% larger quiches in a large cast-iron skillet -- they just need to be baked slightly longer.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I love the idea of baking in an iron skillet. That would really help with non-sticking to the sides.
    Here's a tip: After you shred the cheese, toss with 1-2 tablespoons of the flour before adding to the rest of the ingredients. This keeps the cheese from clumping.
    Also, I prefer swiss or Ementhal cheese. It holds up better and has a great flavor.
    Thanks for sharing this! I intend to try a GF version this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete